Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Day I Joined the Track Team


Got a great story that I was reminded of the other day. I find this so funny, but I dunno, you might not.

Last year, Sean, Kevin and I went to Norman for the bedlam basketball game (in which we lost, unfortunately). We stopped at our favorite barbecue spot in Oklahoma City, Leo's. It is straight up the best barbecue you will ever put in your mouth.

So, we downing our brisket sandwiches and huge plate of fries and we start a casual talk with the people next to us. Right off the bat, I could tell these jokers were strange.

They strike up small talk and we pretend to care (sorry, that sounds bad, but it was lame). We told them we were going down to Norman for the bedlam game and somehow the one hick drastically misunderstood us.

He says something and Sean was the only one kind enough to give a response. He just keeps nodding his head and we just kind of tune them out. After Sean nods at what he says, he asks, "So what events do you guys do?"

We were completely confused. "Events?" "Ya, what do you guys run in track?"

Hahaha. I just started laughing at how ridiculous this question was. Apparently, through Sean's head nods, the guy had decided we ran track for Oklahoma State (I guess track runners eat big barbecue meals before events where he's from, I dunno).

We just sat there and laughed for a few seconds thinking it was some sort of strange joke. The response was something like. "Haha, uh... We don't run track." This made the whole conversation even more amusing because we clearly told the guy we ran track with our head nods only to verbally tell him that he was crazy.

So, we basically just told him that he did nothing with track and he stopped talking to us.

Anyway, I thought it was hilarious and it still gets me chuckling to this day at how preposterous the whole situation was.

Hahaha, I don't know who the bigger fools were: us or these schmoes.

O and Leo's has the best cake you will ever eat. It is strawberry banana and it is worth a trip for the cake alone.

No comments: