Sunday, February 24, 2008

That One Day Oscar Came to Town


OSCARS tonight and I am so freaking thrilled, more excited than ever before (mainly because I have become gradually more and more obsessed with movies as the year has gone on). So, I thought I would hop on here before the show tonight and throw out some predictions.


Actor in a Leading Role: This one is far too easy. Since this movie was put into production, he was a guaranteed winner. They have been talking about this performance for over a year and have called it the best performance in 10 years (still can't believe I haven't seen it). The oscar goes to Daniel Day-Lewis.


Actor in a Supporting Role: This category may be a little harder to peg (at least for me because I have only seen "No Country" and "Charlie Wilson"). I would put my money on either Javier Bardem or Phillip Seymour Hoffman (who is incredible in Wilson), though I am worried because I think "Michael Clayton" is going to steal some back door wins. Still, gotta go with the best from the best movie of the year. The oscar goes to Javier Bardem.


Actress in a Leading Role: I'm just going to come out and say I have no idea. The only movie I saw in this category was "Juno" and if Ellen Page wins I will kill someone. Most talked about is either Julie Christie in "Away from Her" or Cate Blanchett in "Elizabeth." And the oscar goes to Julie Christie.


Actress in a Supporting Role: Here's another difficult one that I think could go to anyone. I hear good things about Amy Ryan from "Gone Baby Gone." Saoirse Ronan gives one of the best young performances I've seen to date in "Atonement," so I'm glad she gets a nod, but I doubt she wins. And the oscar goes to Cate Blanchett for her portrayal of Bob Dylan in "I'm Not There."


Cinematography: Both "No Country" and "Atonement" have terrific cinematography. "Atonement" has one of the best segments I've seen next to "Children of Men." And the oscar goes to Atonement.


Directing: In my opinion, I would love to see the Coen brothers nab this one, but I am afraid they won't even though they made the best movie. Paul Thomas Anderson is a genius, so he could get it, but I think there might be too much focus on Day-Lewis for people to pay attention to the rest of the film. The oscar goes to Joel and Ethan Coen just cause I want them to win.


Music (Score): Jeez, "The Kite Runner" was such a terrific movie and the music is so beautiful and melodic, but I'm afraid this is an easy pick in the other direction. And the oscar goes to Atonement.


Best Picture: The biggie in a year of pretty good movies. Aside from the horrible nomination of "Juno," this is a stacked category. The top three are "Atonement," "Michael Clayton" and "No Country for Old Men." In my opinion, no other movie could eclipse the brothers' latest social commentary. And the oscar goes to No Country for Old Men.


Visual Effects: No movie has ever come close to the ridiculousness of "Transformers." It is hands down the greatest display of visual effects ever created. There was no need to even nominate anything else. Michael Bay is incredible. And the oscar goes to Transformers.


Adapted Screenplay: Honestly, I thought you knew me by now, why are you still reading. Because I have no clue, I'm going to give it to my favorite. And the oscar goes to No Country for Old Men.


Original Screenplay: The outcome of this category could lead me to forever hate the Academy. If "Juno" wins I will never watch the Awards again. I like "The Savages" for this.

But the oscar goes to Michael Clayton (please oh please do this for me Academy).



There it is. Relish on it and watch the Awards show tonight at 8/7c p.m. And watch "No Country for Old Men" because it is so very good.


I win.

No comments: