Friday, May 23, 2008

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade


Now, to the one I didn't remember all too well, the Last Crusade. This one was actually made when I was alive! Made four years after Doom, the Last Crusade takes place in 1936 and reincorporates the Nazis as bad guys.

I don't know why I didn't remember this one very well. I guess it is because I did not watch it as much as the other two.

Looking back at this movie, I was in for many surprises and it was just as entertaining as the first time I watched it. This one is loaded with action and adventure.

The introduction of Sean Connery as Indy's father was perfect. I really enjoyed him in this. This movie seems to have a ton of explosions and significantly less hand to hand battles. Maybe it is because of the massive tank battle that lasted half the movie.

This could be Indy's biggest adventure yet. He travels all over the world in search for the legendary Holy Grail, the mecca of all treasures.

This movie is littered with more humor than the previous movies. I just love Indy's countenance throughout the whole movie.

Spielberg claims this to be his favorite of the three and I can see why. The movie is great for the adventurer's spirit.

Crusade starts in 1912 with Indy as a Boy Scout who tries to steal a cross from jewel thieves. He thinks it belongs in a museum. The scenes as a kid explain a lot about Indy in the future, his hatred of snakes, his use of the bull whip and his hat.

Crusade is not only about a search for the Holy Grail but also about a search for reconciliation between a father and son. Dr. Jones Sr. neglected his son and his son left. Indy saves his life multiple times and they are united in the end. We will see how the last twenty years played out in the Kingdom of the Crystall Skull.

I'm interested to learn what Indy has been doing for the past 20 years. Ya, 20 years from Crusade to the newest sequel. What is the deal with resurrecting franchises from the 80's?


4.5 of 5 stars

No comments: