Monday, May 19, 2008

Can I Graduate?


My broseph walked across the stage for graduation from high school this past weekend. Wow, time really flies. As this school year came to an end, I realized, "Crap, I'm a junior." The first two years of college really flew by.

So, my kid brother is not a kid anymore. He is an 18-year-old college boy. Never thought the day would actually happen. I still picture him as the little boy playing with his "mans" all over the house and riding his bike all over the neighborhood.

If he is getting old, then surely I am turning into a codger. I've been looking back at my life and searching for what I have done to make a difference, what I have accomplished as a 20-year-old.

I only wish I had done more in high school, then I would be so much farther along than I am today. Now, I have to go back and do those things I didn't do in high school, like find my passions and all those things I enjoy.

I feel I have done a lot and have a ton more to do. I believe I have done more than the average 20-year-old. I only hope to do more as the year progresses. I need to do so much in the next two years before I graduate.

Dub will be going to college soon with his new laptop, which is so much better than mine (and at half the price, my how technology changes in two years!). He is going to UCO, which is a good choice for him. UCO is a great school and it has tons of possibilities. Plus, he can live at home for free.

My biggest advice from where I screwed up is to try to find something you really like before you get there. That way you can explore all the avenues of the major with a maximum amount of time instead of wasting the first two years doing almost nothing.

College is a great place to not only gain a degree but to establish contacts, create change and enjoy yourself before the real world comes crashing down.

Good luck, Pube.

No comments: