Thursday, May 15, 2008

Generation Rx


Today's youth addiction is prescription medication. This has affected suburbia greatly for the past several years. I have not personally known anyone to be addicted to prescription pills, but there are many in my town.

I never understood the obsession with pills. I remember back in high school a kid would rave about having extra pain pills after surgery recovery. Everyone would be like, "Oh, that's awesome."

I would just sit there and be like, "OK."

This particular kid would mention it all the time, I guess looking for some kind of reaction. No matter how many times he said it, people would be jealous and wish they had some pain pills to get through the day. They would swap (more than likely fictional stories) about different meds they had taken while in the hospital or for some kind of sickness.

I'm pretty sure he never actually took them, he just liked to say that he had them. Again, I never saw what the big deal was. I guess the kids I knew liked to pretend they knew all about meds because it was the big thing to be in the know and the addiction to prescription medication.

I can't tell you how many movies I've seen that involve characters who ingest pills on a regular basis "to heal the pain." I think many look to medication as a type of crutch because they feel they can't do it on their own.

Those that lean on medication to get them through the day are more than likely delusional. I think a lot of people make excuses for their behavior so they take pills to help them "calm down." I think people become crazy because of their dependence on prescription meds.

I believe this is a total farce and used as a lame excuse. But whatever, I don't know everything.

So, whenever someone tells me about what kind of meds they have stashed at home or I see some movie with some addict, I just try to ignore the insanity. Today's society has become too dependent on medication to solve our problems, which instead tends to cause more.

Watch "The Chumscrubber" for a good commentary on suburbia and the kids that take pills for the "high."

No comments: