Saturday, January 19, 2008

Ryan Adams and the Cardinals


So I went to Ryan Adams and the Cardinals concert the other night and it was pretty good. I love Ryan Adams, but I have a few problems with the Cardinals.

Before the start of the show, Adams was out there playing acoustic songs claiming to be someone else. He wore glasses to "disguise" his identity. Technically, Ryan Adams opened for Ryan Adams and the Cardinals. Pretty good stuff.

The show started heavy with some thick riffs to drown out the country slide guitar the Cardinals use. The second song they played was amazing (though I can't seem to find that song now). They played all of the greats including "When the Stars Go Blue", "Rescue Blues" and "Sweet Carolina."

The long set got rather repetitive with the annoying country slide predominantly featured throughout most of the songs. They played many from the latest album, "Easy Tiger", including "Goodnight Rose", "Two", and an alternate version of "Halloweenhead."

They left after about an hour and a half, but came back for an encore after about 5 minutes. The encore was the longest I've ever seen as it drove on for more than an hour. The encore was good, but they did not play his best songs. I typically think of encores that include the best work. I was slightly annoyed with a few of the songs.


Also, amazing how Adams managed to smoke like eight packs of cigs. He even smoke and sang at the same time (also had a cig in hand while strumming). I was kind of upset he did not play more harmonica. He only featured it on two songs and with that he did not use it much. I love his harmonica work especially on "Heartbreaker."

I will say one thing about the show, and that is that the songs sounded even better than their counterpart on the albums. I think that because Adams tries his best to make the most music he possibly can, some of his music is not as good as it could be. By the time the touring comes around and he and his band are clicking, the music actually takes form. Some of the songs mature to a state much above that which are seen on the album. For the most part, it really does sound better than his albums.

I do have one major complaint about the show, which was at Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa, and that was the crappy crowd. They were terrible! First of all, there were chairs set up in the space, which sucked majorly. Next, I looked around and realized the crowd consisted of a lot of older people (I guess that could be attributed to Adams' music as being accepted by a large variety of people). The worst part was the chit-chat going on during the concert.

Yes, people were chatting about unrelated events while Ryan Adams was performing!

I could not believe it. It was like we were at a bar, and there happened to be a crappy bar band playing. People all over the place were talking and laughing and hardly paying attention to the show that they dropped 40 bucks on. Ridiculous! I have never been to a concert where people sat around and talked and ruined the show for others.

I was peeved, but I tried to not let it ruin the show. This was my first time at Cain's, so it did tarnish my view on the place. Ryan Adams "fans" need to get with it and stop talking and start listening. Then, there were the country fans that danced. I think they were there solely to make me mad.

Ok concert, but not worth the $40 ticket, $20 T-shirt and hour and a half drive.

No comments: